We all have our daily quick cleanups, however many areas in our homes get passed by every day without any thought to cleaning them. Here is a rundown of the top 5 grossest items in your home that need to be cleaned or tossed immediately!
All Your Pet Stuff– From pet beds to toys, these items need to be cleaned too. Not only do they begin to smell, but they also hold bacteria.
- Vacuum. Make sure you get as much pet hair as possible off the bed before washing.
- Wash the bed. Most beds have removable covers to make washing easier.
- Dry the bed.
- To clean pet toys, rinse them in soapy water or toss them in the dishwasher and run them through a cycle.
Bath Mats– Need we say more? Wash your bath mats regularly to keep a fresh bathroom. Toss the shower curtain in the wash occasionally too. Switch out your plastic shower curtain when needed.
Coffee Machine– Over time, your coffee maker needs a little refresher too. Take time on occasion to deep clean this amazing machine…But first…coffee!
- Fill the water reservoir with 1/2 hot water and 1/2 white vinegar. Together, these two will loosen and remove the limescale and other buildup inside the coffee maker.
- Run the coffee maker like you would if you were making coffee. When the cycle is complete, pour the hot water/vinegar back into the reservoir and run it again.
- Once the second cycle has finished, empty the pot and wash it in hot, soapy water to remove any brown film and stains.
- Fill the reservoir with clean, cold water and run the pot. Repeat this cycle with fresh water twice to make sure all of the vinegar is out of the coffee maker.
- Remove water spots from the exterior of the machine using a lint-free cloth dipped in a 50-50 solution of white vinegar and water. Buff dry with a lint-free cloth.
Toothbrush Holder– I mean, this sits on the counter in a bathroom. Yuck! Clean the inside of your toothbrush holder every week. Stagnant water mixed with minty toothpaste forms the grossest slime when sitting at the bottom of the toothbrush holder.
- Rinse the toothbrush holder with hot water.
- Use a small bristle brush or pipe cleaner to scrub the inside of the toothbrush holder
- Fill the holder with an antibacterial mouthwash and let sit for several minutes.
- Rinse with clean water and let air dry before reloading your toothbrushes.
Dish Sponge– Kill those germs!
- Place the sponge in the microwave, saturating it in water (we used 1/4 cup for scrub sponges and 1/2 cup for cellulose)
- Heat it on high for one minute (scrub) or two minutes (cellulose).